Stowe House in Lichfield comprises an imposing, Grade II* Listed, period building which dates back to c1750. The property retains many of the original Georgian style and features and sits within beautifully maintained gardens which extend to approximately 4 acres. Having acquired the building in November 2016, Pergola Ltd have undertaken extensive refurbishment culminating in the creation of 4 self-contained office suites.
The property extends to an approximate floor area of 12,000 sq ft set over ground, first and second floors together with a lower ground floor staff and storage area and benefits from superb views overlooking Stowe Pool and Lichfield Cathedral, in arguably one of the most desirable office locations in the City.
According to local records, the building dates back to c1750 and is believed to have been built by Elizabeth Aston, the daughter of Sir Thomas Aston, being initially occupied by Thomas Hinton, perpetual curate of St Chad’s church.
The majority of the building is of 18th Century construction with some 19th Century additions. There is also a substantial extension to its rear (east) and its side (north) of 1950’s construction.
The property had largely been utilised as a single residence up until the beginning of the Second World War when the house was taken over by the army. This was short lived however as from 1940 – 1944, Belmont School was evacuated to Stowe House from Hassocks in Sussex.
In 1951, the house was turned into a nurse’s home for the Victoria and St Michael’s hospitals. Finally, in 1969 Birmingham Hospital Board purchased the House and turned it into a Management Training Centre, a use which continued up until the property was purchased by the current owners in 2016.
Photo: Jamieson Whitfield from Fothergills, Cllr Iain Eadie, Ben Nicholson from Burley Browne.
Since completion of the refurbishment, the building has welcomed four new businesses into the Lichfield District all of which have relocated from outside of the area, which will also boost local employment. Representatives from Lichfield District Council, including the Deputy Leader and Cabinet Member for Investment, Economic Growth & Tourism, were invited for a special guided tour of the refurbished property on Thursday 31 October 2019.
Iain Eadie, Lichfield District Council’s Cabinet Member for Investment, Economic Growth & Tourism, said: “It was a wonderful opportunity to visit Stowe House and talk to those who have been involved in the project. An important building, with its own history down the years, has been given a new lease of life and benefited from a significant amount of work.
“Hearing that the offices have all been taken by business who have chosen to move to Lichfield, shows the appeal of working and living in our district. The agents, Burley Browne, have signalled there is a high demand from businesses of all shapes and sizes for premises in our district, something we can look at going forward into 2020 and beyond.
“The developers Pergola Ltd, along with local architects ADC Ltd and the main contractors, Fothergills Construction, have given everyone who will be working in Stowe House a beautiful setting, with unrivalled views. A truly magnificent refurbishment.”
The new lettings were completed by sole agents Burley Browne Chartered Surveyors, who acted as agents in the original sale of Stowe House to Pergola in November 2016. Associate Director, Ben Nicholson, comments “Following its significant and sympathetic refurbishment, Stowe House arguably provides the most desirable office accommodation in Lichfield. The property has been finished to a very high standard and offers exceptional parking provision, set in a picturesque location with attractive views of Stowe Pool and the Cathedral.
“We are thrilled to have been able to secure tenants for all of the accommodation which has coincided with completion of the works and it is pleasing to see that the significant investment made by the owners will safeguard the future of such an iconic building in Lichfield. “Lichfield continues to appeal as a desirable business destination which has been demonstrated here at Stowe House with all of the occupiers relocating from outside of the District.”