Today’s Church was built between 1845 and 1847, and replaced a building which was demolished in 1845. Christianity was bought into the area by St. Chad, who died in 672.
The hermit (from where Armitage got its name – ‘Hermitage’), no doubt gained respect from the respected glory of his predecessor, St. Chad, from whose influence he lived and preached. The area would have been held in great respect, even awe as a result of the Hermit’s reputation. The Church today stands on the Hermit’s home.