Category: Local History

Hawkesyard

Nathaniel Lister purchased the Hawkesyard Estate in 1759 and had a mansion built about a quarter of a mile away from the site of the old Hall. He named the new house Armitage Park. In 1839, Mrs Spode, mother of Josiah Spode purchased the Hall from Nathaniel Lister. The surrounding parkland was bought at the same time.

Read More

Handsacre Hall

Handsacre Hall existed before the Domesday Book in the 11th Century. It formed the centre of the village before Armitage, and was originally the residence of Robert de Handsacre. Up to the Middle Ages, the whole district was a vast forest cultivated only in small clearings.

Read More

Armitage Shanks

The company that was to become Armitage Shanks was founded in 1817 by Thomas Bond. In 1819 he went bankrupt and sold out to John Haynes, after which it passed through various owners.

Read More

Armitage with Handsacare

Armitage is situated in the Trent Valley, close to Rugeley, and adjacent to the Trent and Mersey Canal. The name of this village is known world-wide as a result of the sanitary ware manufactured here for many years by Armitage Shanks.

Read More
Loading